Monday, October 8, 2012

A search for....a new job!

So when I was pregnant with Chase, I told myself that while I was on maternity leave I was going to look for another job closer to home. That didn't happen. I looked, but there was nothing. Also, I think part of me didn't want to because that means I would have completely left all of San Diego behind. At least that way, I was still a San Diegan. But with the way gas prices are and driving 140 miles a day. I really can't afford to be making that commute. Yes, the drive is brutal. Especially since the last thing you want to do after a stressful day at work is to top it off with stupid drivers and bad traffic. It puts me in a pretty crabby mood by the time I get home. I also doze off a lot driving and it's really dangerous. I hated sitting in traffic on the drive to work too. It's like who wants to sit in a car for over an hour first thing in the morning. I'm exhausted already by the time I get to work! I felt like my days were sooooo much longer because, well it was! I would wake up earlier than Brandon and get home later than Brandon. Then we have this hectic schedule of dinner, bath and next thing you know it's bed time. It really limited the amount of time I was spending with Chase! I sucked it up though, even though I complained nearly everyday about the drive. A job is a job and it was money. I was lucky to even have a job and you just do what you gotta do to provide and put money on the table.

This time around, I am really ready to relocate. The amount of money I spend on gas..sometimes $700 a month is absurd. That's the daycare money we need to spend on Trent. We were struggling already with the income we had and we only had one kid to pay daycare for, now we have two. So far I've had two interviews. One for a position I wasn't interested in so I didn't take it seriously. I just went simply to get some practice in. Last week I interviewed for a job that paid same as what I was making in San Diego, it's also so close to home that I wouldn't even have to take the freeway. It seems less stressful than what I was doing before AND they have casual attire! Which means no more business casual! I think that's one of the things I was most excited about. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal. But for the last 8 years, I've had a job that required business casual attire. I HATED it. I just didn't feel comfortable. Plus, it's like you need this whole separate wardrobe.

I'm suppose to hear back by tomorrow about the position, but I ended up emailing the guy back today just to thank him for the opportunity and to follow-up. I was going to call, but I didn't want to since it's Monday and I didn't want to seem pesky. I'm nervous and excited.

Here is my other dilemma. Prudential says I passed their assessment and wants to schedule me for an interview for a financial planner position. I haven't even interviewed for it yet, but if I do get the position it'll require me to get my 6 & 63. Then my L&H license. I'm familiar with all of this..and it seems more of a career move for me. Is this what I even want to do? The other job is a basic position but I could see myself getting promoted then later on maybe getting into real estate or loans. I see growth in both part, but just the Prudential one seems more pressure to get it done and succeed immediately.

I know this is all hypothetical. I might not get either job. What if the lending position offers me the position but needs an answer immediately, before I find out if I got the job from Prudential?

Anyways, wish me luck. I haven't wanted something so bad in a long time. It's exactly what I've been looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment