Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Rekindle the light of fixing up our place..

So right now, I have sooo much work to do but I just can't get myself to do any of it. I think I have that afternoon coma, plus I'm on my second cup of coffee and I'm just exhausted. (Thanks to Trent screaming all night)

Yesterday, I was browsing the internet like I always do and I came across a home that is the identical layout of ours except it looks like a model home. It really ignited my interest in fixing up our place. It's an on again and off again idea that I've entertained but due to financial reasons and just lack of time we never get around to it. We've lived in our condo now for 3 years. We always talk about fixing it up even though it's not ours. Then it goes to this debate of, well we have no money to fix it up and secondly it's not ours. My thing is, I know it's not ours but as long as we stay here we should make it our home. It's not that I don't like our place, because I love it for now but one thing I wish we were able to do was make it newer. Do a couple updates, paint it, fix up some of the stuff..decorate. I like when you move into a new place and everything's fresh. Fresh paint, fresh carpet, clean..it feels like new. We never really got that. We just kinda moved in and settled in with whatever it is that we have. It's much harder to try and do all that when you're already moved in.

But seeing pictures of this place really gave me the mojo to fix it up. I mean, this place looks amazing and we could definitely make it look similar to that!

First off, this place had a patio cover. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! Our place is always sunny. From sun up to sun down it's shining on some part of our place and it gets hot very quickly. I would love to be able to have a patio cover that provides some sort of shade, maybe hang some plants and some lights..


This place has brand new cabinets it seems and it really just makes the kitchen feel long and new! We have really nice granite at our place now, but our cabinets are in bad shape and it needs some new hardware and paint. These are such little things we could do that would make a huge difference! I also REALLY wanted to get a microwave for above our stove. That would be such a space saver. We use to have ours on the counter but it took up so much space. So now we have it on a kitchen cart but that takes up space in our dining area!


I love that this place has hardwood flooring..whether it's hardwood or laminate I love it. It really makes the place feel clean. Our carpet is in really bad shape no matter how we try to clean it. I keep telling Brandon we should just do laminate throughout the living room and hallways! The upside is that we actually use that extra space in the living room where they have their dining table as part of the living room. We put the kids toys there. Plus, we have a big bulky sectional. I like that their couch makes the place seem bigger, but our sectional is great for entertaining.


They have a fireplace in their place and we don't. We do however have one of those electric fireplaces in the bedroom and I told Brandon we should move it to the living room. Yes, it kind of takes up a lot of space but  I would put it right where their fireplace is. I think it would really make it homey!


Okay, here is one HUGE thing that I noticed in this place that I definitely want for ours. They have DOORS to hide the washer and dryer. I am so going to make Brandon put doors in. One, it'll shield some of the noise and two it really makes the house seem a lot neater!

They also have a hanging lamp in the kitchen and that's where we have our dining table. I think that would add a nice little flare to our dining space!


I like how they have cabinets instead on the left side of the counter. We have an empty space which is kind of nice, you can put a stool under and sit there to apply your make-up. But, we never do that and it would be nice because we already have limited cabinet space..or maybe we can have a double sink?? :) I also really like that they have sliding glass doors for the shower.


Now that I've seen how nice this place is, it revives my hope of making our place look brand new like that. I'm motivated to pick out some paint colors first. Brandon said after we paint the place we can put in doors for the washer and dryer section. Maybe we just have to actually go and start it, then it'll get the ball rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment