Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Daunting Reminder of Terrible Twos

So I'm sitting here at the lab waiting for my hour to be up for my glucose testing. For those that are unfamiliar with the procedure, you have to fast for 8 hours then come in, drink this orange drink ( I chugged it like a champ causing a brain freeze) then you wait an hour for your blood to be drawn. It's very important to get it right the first time, because if not I believe you have to come back another day and go through an even longer test. I'm not sure exactly, but I haven't had to go that route. So the best time to do this is first thing in the morning. There's not a darn thing to do while waiting, so brilliant me, now that I have 20 minutes left I remember I can blog on my phone!

So ever since Chase came back from spending the weekend with my parents he has been the biggest jerk. He has been mean to me specifically, back to this angry teenager attitude and this new "mine" thing. He has wanted nothing to do with me and wants only his dad. He literally sees me, I say good morning while his dads in the room and he yells no, angrily. At first I dealt with it, but frankly now its just pissing me off. I feel like maybe the cause is because lately I've been spending more time with him than he does with his dad since Brandon has been busier than usual lately. I know that I'm not the fun one, I am 6 months pregnant so it's hard to keep up. I'm the discipliner and the care taker. I know it sounds silly, but Chase's attitude has really hurt my feelings. I know he doesn't mean it or even realizes it. That he probably doesn't even remember it 5 minutes later, but I do everything for him and yet I'm the one that's mistreated? You have to have a heart made of stone to not feel a little hurt at the very least.

Dylan, our god son, had his 2nd birthday party yesterday. It's nice that he's conveniently 2 months older than Chase because you get a glimpse of what Chase might be going through soon, but sometimes it's also a little scary because I guess Dylan is going through terrible twos. Terrible twos is a widely know phase that boys go through. It is what it sounds like, terrible. The thing is I don't know if there is such thing in the Chinese culture. People start asking has Chase been more defiant? Oh he's just going through terrible twos or starting his early. I almost feel like its a way people accept their child's behavior because it's supposedly "expected." It's really making me a little nervous and scared of Chase turning 2. I'm sure that him being in school where other kids behave that way is not going to make it any easier. It almost makes me want to home school him just so he doesn't become another statistic of rambunctious behavior.

Hopefully, this is just another phase like the one he went through not too long ago. Although it doesn't seem to be improving and it's been almost two weeks. Just gotta keep our fingers crossed! Like Brandon says, there is nothing we can do but keep being consistent with our discipline. One thing that I am very relieved about is that we have very similar, if not the same, mindset on discipline. I think it is very important that parents are on the same page because if not, that will confuse the child or lead them to think they can get away with it with a specific parent. I feel like we are on the right track with Chase. Others may think we are too strict but I guess there is no way to tell but to see the end result in 16 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment