Thursday, July 19, 2012

Spinach Cream Sauce with Shrimp and Scallop Fettucine

We ate at this Italian place with our friends Adam and Sonia this past weekend. I ordered a lemon/garlic cream sauce type fettucine with shrimp and scallops and it inspired me to try and make something similar. I Googled a lot of different recipes on how to make cream sauce and kind of just did my own thing with what I had. I liked the dish a lot although my fiancee is not a huge fan of it. He likes things that are very flavorful though I think that's why. He puts hot sauce on EVERYTHING! Thought I'd share this recipe with you guys :)


Spinach Cream Sauce Fettucine with Shrimp and Scallops

7-9oz   Fresh Spinach (I used 3/4 of the steamer bags from Fresh&Easy)
5   Cloves of garlic minced
1/2 pint  Heavy whipping cream
1/2 pint  Half & half
1 tsp   Cornstarch
1/2     Bag of fettucine pasta
1 Cup 4 Blend mexican cheese (most recipes I found used parmesan or mozzerella but this was what I had in the fridge..)
Frozen Shrimp and scallops (your choice of how much you want)
Olive oil (I always cook with olive oil, I'm sure oil of your choice is just fine)
Salt & Pepper to taste


Add oil and 1/3 of the minced garlic to a pan. Saute the shrimp and scallops with a little salt until cooked. Try not to overcook it! Shrimp cooks very easily, usually when they turn orange and seems to shrivel a little they are already cooked. Scallops cook fairly easy as well. My scallops were little so they cooked the same time as the shrimp. They will have a "bounce" to them when they are cooked. After they are cooked, set aside.

If needed, add more oil to the pan and the 1/2 of the remaining garlic. Cook the spinach until they seem wilted. Remove from pan and drain excess oil. Carefully chop the cooked spinach until fine. You don't really want huge chunks of spinach with every bite. You might also want to let it cool a little bit before touching it.

In a medium sauce pan, add the heavy whipping cream, half & half and the remainder of the garlic. Bring to a boil stirring occassionally. Becareful, when it starts to boil it usually starts to foam up and rise so keep an eye on it. After it comes to a boil, add the cheese and stir until melted. Add the spinach to the sauce pan and let it simmer. Stir occassionally.

In a small bowl, add the cornstarch with 3 tsp of water and mix until dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce. Continue to let it simmer, stirring occassionally. Salt and pepper to your liking. When the sauce has reached the thickness you like, turn it off.

In a separate pot, cook fettucine noodles to your liking and drain.

Add fettucine on plate, layer with sauce and top with shrimp and scallop.


No comments:

Post a Comment