Friday, July 6, 2012

Stain Glass JELLO Recipe

For the first time ever, I made something patriotic for July 4th. I think this was the first year where I actually felt like I was celebrating July 4th. Growing up, we didn't really celebrate any holidays. I mean, we would have go out for dinner or have hot pot for Christmas or Thanksgiving. Chinese New Years we'd go and eat out somewhere. We never really decorated, planned for anything or was gung-ho about holidays. I think that's why now that I have my own family I want to celebrate everything! 

This year, we had a bbq with all of the neighbors and friends. I actually enjoyed the preparation although my feet was killing me afterwards. I wanted to do something patriotic but didn't know what and I decided JELLO! Who doesn't love jello and it's something fun to eat on a hot day and I can make it red, white and blue! I was going to make them into star shapes, but the cookie cutter I borrowed was too big and I would only have a couple stars. I also got antsy and didn't let them solidify enough before bringing them out.

Stain Glass JELLO

2 6oz Boxes of different color JELLO
2 Pockets of Knox unflavored Gelatin
14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk

Make the two flavors in seperate pans. I used 9x13 glass pans. When firm, cut them into small blocks and mix carefully in a 9x13 glass pan. I would recommend approximately 1/2 inch blocks. I made mine a little too big. 

In a separate bowl, sprinkle Knox gelatin mix into 1/2 cup of cold water. Bring 1 1/2 cup of water to a boil. When gelatin has bloomed, add boiling water and mix until dissolved. Add the 14 oz of condensed milk to the hot water and mix well. Let it cool. After condense milk mixture has cooled. Pour over the cubed JELLO and place place in fridge until firm!

You can cut them into cubes if you'd like, use a cookie cutter and make shapes. I'm looking forward to using this recipe for future holidays and trying a variety of color! Mine didn't come out as pretty. I think my cubes were a little too big so the white gelatin didn't really make it stick. I also didn't do a great job of scooping it lol. 



It's suppose to look like this!



No comments:

Post a Comment