Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Quiche, Quiche..why are you so watery?!?

Last night, I made my first attempt ever at making quiche. I've actually only had quiche one time before and it was from Specialty's. It was the most amazing piece of egg mixture I had ever put in my mouth. I've been trying to think of a working-mom-friendly breakfast's for Trent to bring to school. Something that I could whip up a lot of on a Sunday and have portions throughout the week. Then I remembered this amazing quiche I had and how it was just the right portion for him! I Google'd some recipes to get the general ingredients and steps and decided to kind of base mine on this one from Allrecipe.com. I thought to myself, I have sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, milk and eggs. Booyah!

This recipe called for one egg and 1 cup of milk. I decided to do 3 eggs and 2 cups of whole milk. I also substituted sun-dried tomatoes for a regular tomato diced. I included turkey sausage as well.

3 Large Eggs
2 Cups whole Milk
Thyme
Turkey Sausage
Mild Cheddar Cheese
1 Medium Tomato Diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

I sprayed a 6-serving muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkled the cheese on the bottom, then added the dice tomato and sausage.

In a bowl, I combined the 3 eggs, 2 cups of milk and thyme with a whisk until fluffy. I poured the mixture into the muffin tin and put it in the oven.

I felt like I baked it for about 50 minutes. I started off with 30 and noticed the top was not brown yet and it was still bubbly. I kept baking it for another 10 minutes, 5 minutes..another 5. Until the top was finally a golden brown. I let it sit for 3 minutes in the tin and when I tried to take them out I noticed there was this water at the bottom of it. Also, it was not firm like the quiche that I had. It still tasted really good, but it was just not quiche-y!

Of course, I'm diagnosing through Google for my watery quiche and I found this site upon reviewing a couple, Funkytown Foodies I think I know where I went wrong.]
  1. I should not have used tomatoes. Tomatoes are so juicy and watery! I should pan fried it, if that would have even helped.
  2. My egg to milk ratio was too much. 
  3. Maybe I used too much ingredients. I think using so much ingredients made my eggs not cook together. 
So...is this a fail? Partial. It's still yummy, still portable and Trent still enjoys it. Will I try it again? Of course! I will master the quiche!



No comments:

Post a Comment