Thursday, June 20, 2013

DIY- Braided Racer Back Tank-Old T-Shirt Project

So, I've been on this new DIY kick lately with my old t-shirts. One, because I have a TON of plain t-shirts with sayings on them. I usually, wear them for volleyball because they're not fitted enough for me. So I decided to re-vamp some of them. Why not right?!?

I looked up this Youtube tutorial the other day, more like earlier this week and well I tried to do it to one of my t-shirts by memory. Let's just say I think I should have pulled up the video and done it side by side.

I also recommend practicing on a t-shirt that you really don't care for until you've mastered it.



First you cut along the sleeve lining.


Then you make an incision along the neck line so you can cut along the front and the back.



Then you cut a racer back shape off from the back of the shirt. The best thing to do is to cut one side, then take the cut off piece and use it to trace the outline for the other side so they are identical.


Then you cut it straight across.
Then you cut the long strand into 3 pieces.
Then you braid it. If you don't know how to braid...uh Youtube it :)
Get your needle and thread

And just sew it together enough so the braid won't undo. I just stuck the needle in the middle so it would capture all the layers,

Wrap it around





and wrapped it around the sides a couple times, 

pierced the needle through the middle again and tied a knot.

Here's the trickier part. So you take the secured braid and you find the center of the top part strand of the t-shirt. You sew it with the braid underneath the shirt collar. So it forms a T look. The t-shirt is upside down at this point.

And you just sew it the same way to secure the braid to the T-shirt. Through the middle.. 

Then I just wrapped it around..and through the middle again and tied a knot.


Okay, now take that extra piece we cut off from the sleeve.

And you cut a strand from it. About 3/4" inch.

You wrap it around that ugly sewing job you just did and end with the extra piece underneath the braid.

You sew it again. The part you're sewing would be considered the "inside of the shirt," if that makes sense. It's the part that would be touching your back.

I just did a simple straight across line. I call it the road. Looks like the lines in the middle of the road - - - -

So when you're done, you'll still see a little flap of cloth left.

Just cut it off and what ever piece hanging around that you might need to clean up.


Then you cut along the bottom hem of the shirt. Depending on how you like your length.


I think the top part looks kind of funny, but not bad for my first time!

Add caption

1 comment:

  1. I love that shirt and the braid work you did.
    I own www.flossfactor.com please take a look and keep up the beautiful work

    ReplyDelete