Thursday, June 27, 2013

H.S Dropout

Today I wanted to write about a personal achievement. It's really not that big of a deal because there are a lot of notaries out there and it's a very easy process. However, it's kind of a big deal because...well I've never really academically achieved anything. I don't even know if this could be considered academic's because it's not. I've never had a certificate of any sort that I could frame and be proud of. 

Why is this a big deal you ask? First of all, it's something that I'm ashamed of. It's a tough question to answer especially when I am interviewing or when I have professional conversations with other people. I didn't go to college. I don't have a degree. What's even worse than that? I'm a high school drop out. That's right, I said it. Now it's out there for the whole world to know. I don't have a high school diploma. I did get my G.E.D a couple years after I dropped out but that's not exactly something you want to put in a frame.

For me, it's something that I have embraced but at the same time it's a VERY awkward topic when I work among people with college degrees and masters from respectable colleges. I feel like in the financial  professional world,  if you didn't go to college then you've lost a couple points. I know that for myself, where I am now, it's not something to be ashamed of. I have been very fortunate and blessed to be able to be where I am without a degree. At the same time, it wasn't just an opportunity that landed on my lap. I've had to work really hard to prove that I was just as good as the people with a degree, if not better

I didn't drop out because I was dumb. Well, yes I was STUPID to drop out, 4 months before graduation senior year. I dropped out because I felt like I was bored. The fact that I didn't need to apply myself to get a passing grade made me lose interest. I didn't need to be there to pass a test. Then eventually, I just stopped going. Probably one of the only things I can honestly I say I regret was not staying in school and pursuing something. If I can get a job like mine now, with just a GED. Can you imagine where I might be if I had actually studied and picked a major? 

Now, I feel like it's too late. I know it's never too late but I have so much going on in my life it's really hard to focus. My goal is to start college again and get a degree. Just so on paper, I can be taken more seriously. 


No comments:

Post a Comment