Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cilantro-Lime Chicken Recipe (Slow Cooker)

So I have a really busy schedule on the weekday so I don't have time to cook dinner when I get home from work. My son demands dinner as soon as we get home or he'll start climbing on the high chair saying, "peez peez peez." So what I usually like to do is find some easy recipes that I can prepare the night before and just ask the fiance to throw in the oven or even better...use my slow cooker! I usually find all of the recipes I need for the week on Sunday and I go grocery shopping for the week. Last night we tried something different and it was so good I just had to share it. I made tacos! Cilantro-lime shredded chicken taco's as a matter of fact. The recipe is so easy and yummy. I might even try making a casserole out of it one day!

I prepared the sauce and the chicken breast the night before, so I just threw everything in the slow cooker before I left for work and came home to dinner served!

I found the recipe on allrecipe.com, which is where I find most of my easy dinner fixes :)

Cilantro-Lime Chicken
Prep time: 4 minutes 
Cook time: 9 hrs


1 (16 oz) jar salsa (I get the Pace Picante brand in Mild)
1 (1.25 oz package dry taco seasoning
1 lime, juiced
3 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (I usually just chop up half a bundle but then again I love cilantro)
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, halves


In a bowl, I mix the salsa, taco seasoning, lime and cilantro together.

Place the chicken breast halves in the slow cooker and pour the salsa mixture over it. Stir well so the chicken is well coated and lay them out flat.

Turn it on slow and let it cook for 9 hours.

So, that's the recipe..when its done you just use a form and kind of mash them a little bit and them come apart so easily that it becomes shredded chicken. Instead of making already bought hard taco shells, I made my own with corn tortilla. You use a frying pan and fill it up with oil so that it can cover the tortilla. I use extra virgin olive oil to cook, so I didn't feel as bad about all the oil we're consuming!

Place the tortilla in the oil and let it cook for a couple seconds on both sides. Then bend it in half so it looks like a taco shell and let each side cook until edges are a little brown. I try to drain the oil as much as possible, then I put them on a plate with a paper towel over it so it soaks up the excess oil.

For the salsa:

2 roma tomatoes, diced
Half of a white onion, diced
1 lime, juiced
chopped cilantrol
Salt & pepper to taste


Put everything in a bowl and mix!

I wish I took pictures of the tacos last night. I served them with just salsa, sour cream, Valentino's hot sauce and shredded cheese. The most time consuming part was making the taco shells but besides that it was a piece of cake!

I brought the stuff and made some tacos for lunch, but I forgot the sour cream! (I broke one of my shells so I guess its not a taco now, its a torta.)



No comments:

Post a Comment