Monday, March 5, 2012

E.L.F Haul & Reviews

So, I'm not beauty guru but I do love my make-up. I don't go anywhere without at least eyeliner, eyebrows and a little blush. The other day I saw a BOGO free on E.L.F's website and I got tempted! I haven't bought anything from them in while besides a casual item that I might see at Target from them. I've been trying to be a good girl on spending money but what the hell I decided to splurge a little. I love e.l.f's make-up because its affordable! Their Essential line has everything for $1, now they have a studio line in which everything costs $3 and also a mineral line that costs a little bit more. I mean its no MAC and you get what you pay for but there are certain things that you don't really need to get the name brand product for. I got about 18 items for...$54!! My fiance is probably going to read this and say I can't believe you spent $54 dollars. (Love you babes!) But lets face it, if I took $54 dollars and went to Sephora or to MAC, I'll probably only be able to get tops 4 items depending what I get. This is what I call "ballin' on a budget." I'm going to go over some of the stuff I got and what I thought of them.



This is what I'm going to rate it on:

  1. Quality
  2. True to Color
  3. Pigmentation
  4. Effectiveness (If applicable)
  5. Rating 1 out of 5 (5 being the highest.)
100 Shadow Palette



I got this for $10 dollars! What a steal right? I have the Coastal Scents 88 Shimmer Palette right now. I got that from Amazon for $16 dollars and I love it but I wanted a "non-shimmer" version so I got this one. So far I haven't gotten to try it yet so I will have to get back on the actual pigment and application. The packaging was nice and had gotten good reviews on their website! I guess I won't be able to rate this one yet.

Mineral Powder Brush (Studio Collection)






I got this brush to go with my Mineral Booster. The bristles are soft and the brush came in perfect condition. Its the perfect size to use with your mineral make-up. I have a kabuki brush that I feel is just too bulky to fit in my mineral make-up jars. 

Quality: Good, esp for $3!
Effectiveness: Perfect for the job
Rating: 5

Eyeshadow "C" Brush and Bamboo Concealer Brush



Eyeshadow "C" Brush (Studio Collection)
I love the eyeshadow C brush from the studio collection, I actually bought two of these again and I already have 3 right now. I love the bristles on them. They are shorter and fuller than the Essential Collection eyeshadow brushes which are only dollar. The studio ones are $3. I like that the handle is also longer and it picks up the color very well. 

Quality: The brush came in perfect condition, the bristles are nice and soft.
Effectiveness: Does the job!
Rating: 5

Concealer Brush (Mineral Collection) 
I'm actually not sure if I love the brush. It was definitely a lot smaller than I expected. As you can see from the pictures, it's just a tad bit bigger than the C brush. I'm not using this on a mineral powder product, so maybe I should give it a try and see if it makes a different but it's just a little too small for me. I'm currently using the concealer brush from just the Essential line and its much bigger and has more coverage. This brush costs $5 normally, but it was part of the BOGO list so that's why I took a chance with it.

Quality: Lightweight and came in good condition. The bristles are sleek and firm but not harsh.
Effectiveness: A little small for me, maybe for precision concealing this would work out better. 
Rating: 3  (I wouldn't pay $5 dollars for it)


Make-Up Mist & Set


So far I've used this product everyday since I've gotten it and I love it. It doesn't have a smell, which is awesome. The last thing I want is something strong in scent to be stuck on my face all day. The ingredients in this bottle seems simple enough and it's alcohol free so it won't dry out your skin. I read the reviews and they were pretty good. Says it helps with oily skin and so far it seems to be doing the trick! I might have to try it without the booster I've been using to see if it's the spray or the booster than seems to be keeping my oily skin under control. 

Quality: Good
Effectiveness: Good (I'll have to try it out on a sweaty hot summer day to see how well it works)
Rating: 5 (For $3 it's worth the buck)


Shimmer Sheets (Studio Collection)




I got these shimmer sheets for my purse. My blush seems to always wash out by the end of the day and I feel so dead without it! As you can see it comes with 20 sheets and I guess you just rub them on where ever you want a little color and shimmer! It also comes in pearl, pink, golden and bronze. Mine is the pink. I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet so I won't be able to provide a rating.

Powder Blush in "Tickled Pink" (Studio Collection)




I like blushes that are more natural so I decided to go with the tickled pink. It has a little bit of a shimmer to it as you can see in the picture. It goes on very sheer and I feel like their blushes are really pigmented enough. I really have brush it on a couple times in order for you to see the color. I tried to do a swatch on my hand, but you can't even see it. After a couple applications of it, it does give you a more coral/pink type of color and it is very light. It would go well for a spring look. I'll have to provide a picture of me wearing it next time.

Quality: Nice packaging, comes with a little mirror as well. 
True to Color:  That is the actual sample provided from E.L.F's website. I'd say its pretty darn close! 
Pigmentation: Could be more pigmented. 
Effectiveness: A little more difficult to apply. Requires several coats and some major dipping of the brush
Rating: 4 Its a great color, just wish it went on a little easier. Still worth my $3!

Mineral Booster (Studio Collection)



This is by far my favorite product from them that I've gotten. Its suppose to give you a a more flawless "photo finishing look". It has vitamin A, B and E. I got it in corrective yellow and its sheer. I use it on my t-zone and it really keeps my face from looking oil free all day! It is awesome! I don't wear foundation or powder so I just use it alone and I haven't tried to use it all-over my face. It's suppose to absorb into your skin and give help minimize the appearance of fine lines and pores. So far I love it for making sure I don't look like a grease monkey by the time it's 2:00 pm! Best of all it's only $3!

Quality: Comes in your typical mineral make-up jar with nice packaging. Generous amount.
True to Color: It says its suppose to be translucent and it sure is!
Effectiveness: Does the job of giving me a matte look all day long. 
Rating: 5 (I highly recommend this product to my fellow greasers)

Single Eyeshadow in Sand Dollar (Studio Collection)



I took a picture of the single eyeshadow next to the blush package so you can see the size difference. It has the usual Studio Collection sleek packaging with a little mirror on it. I was looking for just a plain white shadow to use under my brows for highlighting and this one did the trick perfectly. As you can see it even has a little sparkle with it. I would say for $3 its a generous amount for a single shadow.

Quality: Good, nice packaging with a little mirror for application. 
True to Color: It's white :) Doesn't get any simpler than that.
Pigmentation: Very pigmented. Color picks up well.
Rating: 5 

Mineral Lipstick in "Cool Coral" (Mineral Collection)



 

So the bottom picture is the color provided on their website. I would definitely say the color is different from the website and I find that always an issue with lipstick. Unless you go somewhere, where you can see an actual swatch of it, it's never quite what it seems. Even though the color is not what I expected, I still really do like the color. It's moisturizing so it doesn't make your lips look flaky. Glides on smoothly and lasts for a couple hours unless if you're careful. It's a bit more orange-y than I expected and less of a rosy pink undertone but it's still a very pretty color. I thought it was a little bit of a splurge to spend $5 on a lipstick. But, then again its all made from natural ingredients, so it's actually healthy for your lips. 

Quality: Good. Nice packaging, goes on smooth, not flaky, moisturizing, no scent.
True to Color: I would have to say no on that. Definitely darker than it shows.
Pigmentation: Very pigmented. One coat and you're done.
Effectiveness: Colors my lips and moisturizes!
Rating: 4 Only because it wasn't true to color. It disappoints me when I look forward to something and I get something different!

Radiance Enhancer in "Spotlight" (Studio Collection)


So this product is a great highlighter. I use it under my eyes and a little on my cheekbones to give me a dewy fresh face look It gets rid of my bags and when I add blush over it, it gives it a little shimmer. It reminds me of this other product I saw from I want to say Urban Decay or something that did pretty much the same thing for like $25 dollars! This was only $3 :)

Quality: Nice packaging, I wouldn't mind if they did something besides a brush on type applicator.
True to Color: Light pearl pink. Pretty accurate. The color isn't really going to show once you blend it in.
Pigmentation: Its hard to get just the right amount on since its a twist-up with a brush. But it a light color.
Effectiveness: Highlights and gives you a little shimmer without looking like a glitter fairy.
Rating: 5 

Tone Correcting Concealer in "Ivory" (Essential Collection)






I got this little tube as a to-go in my purse for emergency concealer. It's only $1 and works pretty well. Also, works well as an under eye concealer. As you can see, when it's blended in, it matches my skin perfectly. 

Quality: Good, sleek and small packaging. It has a wand applicator with it.
Pigmentation: Goes on sheer once blended and has a light feeling.
True to Color: Looks pretty accurate as you can see from the last picture which was provided from their site.
Effectiveness: Conceals minor blemishes. 
Rating: 5 (For $1, you can't really ask for more)

Shimmer Eyeliner Pencil in "Gunmetal" (Essential Collection)




So as you can see, it's shimmery. I guess I expected glittery? But that's my fault! I think the sparkles in the picture provided from the site threw me off. Overall, it's definitely shimmery, glides on smooth and it's only $1. I think the lid with the sharpener is kind of cheesy to be honest. 

Quality: Good, pretty standard pencil, goes on smooth.
True to Color: As you can see from the last picture, looks just like it! (Minus the sparkle)
Pigmentation: Yes, one glide and the color is on.
Rating: 5 

Matte Eyeshadow (Studio Collection)



I got this in the muted mauve and burnt brown. I've been wearing the muted mauve for the last two days and haven't gotten a chance to do the burnt brown yet. I'll come up with swatches later. I really like the muted mauve, it's a matte pink that gives you a little color, but the illusion of are you really wearing eyeshadow? I like neutral colors most of the time and this is great. Comes in a little jar that resembles mineral make-up. I left my plastic sifter thing on because I know I'd probably spill it if I didn't or dip my whole brush in there on accident. 

Quality: Nice packaging and the little brush is cool, but you're not going to get very far using that as the applicator.
True to Color: I would say the muted mauve is pretty close. 
Pigmentation: Good, picks up color well. That's the nice part about loose shadows.
Rating: 5 I say worth the $3 and it comes with a generous amount.

I believe there's one more product I didn't get to out of everything I got. Overall, E.L.F is an affordable brand of make-up that are cruelty free and uses good ingredients!




No comments:

Post a Comment